"D" day!!

.
The day has finally arrived. The feel of excitement since the day I bought the voucher lead up to light sleep. Having working late the past few nights without much rest, I have to admit the body was rebelling. I prepared my gear the night before, got a friend to wake me up at 6 am this morning.

And my day began. Woke up at 6 am. Had a bowl of cornflakes with my usual coffee and chlorophyll. Was out from the house at 6.30 heading to Stadium Mini Setiawangsa. Registered and waited a while for Team Alpha to warm down. Finally at 7 am sharp, my team, Bravo, got called up to the field.

Roll call was done. The trainers, Sjn Nawal and Corp Wan were at hand giving out instructions. And we started off with a 100 meter high leg jog. The field was wet from last night rain and muddy as it has been trampled on by Alpha since an hour before. I managed to complete the first round of jog and we turned directions on order.

Towards the end of second leg of the jog, as order was given to turn direction, some of my fellow team mates turn so fast I barely was able to stop myself. As I tried to turn around, I slipped and fell. I tried to get up and continue on but my right leg was so painful I had to wobble to the side of the field.To my disappointment, I had twisted my ankle and it had started swelling. The throbbing pain was horrendous. I could not remember when last I had this kind of pain. I felt dizzy, sweating profusely, hanging on and willed myself so that I don't pass out.

Sjn Nawal came to my aide, along with the Commander. She assessed my condition and sprayed on the ankle to make it numb. She and the Commander decided I cannot continue, that I will have to go back and put ice on my ankle. I tried to move my leg but I couldn't. I sat there fuming to myself, frustrated that I almost cried. Not so much due to the pain but I was really angry at what had happened.
The Commander stayed with me, comforting me and made me do something that I do not understand at first. He tapped the side of my right palm, asking me to follow him in a chant, and moved on tapping my forehead side of both eyes, under the nose, on the chin, on the collar bone then taking a beep breath and letting it go. As I followed him, the throbbing pain lessened and by the end of the chant, I was able to move my ankle with less pain. We repeated the process and I was able to stand up and step on my right foot without so much pain. 

What was that, I wondered. I did not have time to ask about it. I hobbled to my car, stepping on the gas & brake pedals with tears in my eye, I drove home. 2 minutes... after a month of wait, 2 minutes and that was the end of it. Even though, I'm welcomed to come back for the next session on Wednesday, I don't know whether it will heal by then. Perhaps I can go, try to appeal for my voucher back and sign up for a different team on a later date, after my ankle have healed completely.

My "D" day turn out to be Doomsday. And here I am, nursing my bad ankle. Wishing there is someone I can lean on to take care of my needs at the moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment