My Pinky Baby!

Hello there!!!

A nerve-wreaking day today as I waited to see my new baby. I used to own one of these before. I bought this baby in 1995 (if i'm not mistaken) 

KAWASAKI ZZR 250

I've only rode the bike myself twice. The second time, it fell on me right in front of my mom's house & I could not lift it up. At 5'2" and 45kg at the time, this bike was too big for me. But at the time, my dreams were bigger and I was adamant that I wanted this bike. I was then confident that I could ride it, as I was learning to ride on a 500cc bike. And so I bought this baby, in green & black. Unfortunately, due to some unforeseen circumstances, I had to let it go to a friend. And until now I wished I hadn't, as that friend passed away in an accident while riding this bike.

However, circumstances again put me in a situation of needing a 2-wheeler. Of course bicycle is not an option (although, thinking of it now, it might be a better & healthier option), I finally gave in to acquire a new set of wheels. Considering between two options, I decided to choose one over another due to its safety features. And so I nervously waited for my Pinky Baby (as I dubbed it) to be ready.

Called the shop as soon as I woke up to re-confirm its readiness. Went there with my two children to welcome the newest member of our family. After all the formalization, I became a proud owner of this new toy.

My 2 human babies with PINKY BABY!
Mind you, I have not ride a bike on my own since 1995. So you can just imagine how nervous I was. It took me a while to even start it. I looked at my son with despair... hoping he would save me from this situation. I felt the shop owner's eyes boring holes behind my back, eyeing me like a hawk, ensuring I really would be able to ride it and he would be able to get his next payment.

But I know my son will not be there for me on a daily basis & I need to know how to ride. The mechanic advised me to fill up petrol & told me where was the nearest petrol station. I summoned all the courage I have, take a last look at my human children and off I go.... at 30kmh...40 kmh... wobbling, trying to focus on balancing the throttle.

At the petrol station, out of habit, I went in to the counter, instead of paying from outside. The cashier looked at me questioningly as I hand over a RM10 note. Went over to the pump and filled up until full (about RM5.60) Started the engine and rode off back to the shop, only to find my children have gone home already.

Okay.... Now I do not have any other choice but to ride the bike back to my mom's place on my own. Contemplating on which better way to use, I opted for the main road. Hoping I would fare better there then on a smaller inner road. All along the way, my mind kept playing images of nasty motorcycle accidents. Thoughts went haywire. The only thing that was making me sane was by reciting surah and selawat all the way.

Finally, I was home. Safe & sound. Still vibrating from the trip and flushing from the adrenaline rush, I almost trip over while trying to place it on double stand. But I made it... all on my own. The first bike that I was able to place on a double stand on my own, without any help at all (Yippiee!!) I was beaming with pride.

Only when I sat down at the sofa I realised, that I didn't take the balance of my money at the petrol station. (o.O)

4 comments: